If you’re looking to downsize your collection, Hemingway’s will offer either cash or credit for books that we need. For cash, we pay 25%-35% of our resale price. For instance, if you bring us a book worth $4.00, we would pay between $1.00 and $1.50 depending on its condition and resale demand. For credit, we give you 50% of our resale price. So for a $4.00 book, you get $2.00. This credit can then go towards half of your purchase of used books in store. Credit cannot go towards vinyl records or new books. Your store credit never expires, and can be added to at any time!
- The owner of Hemingway’s Books (Dave Kyle) can make house calls for large collections of books and/or records. Call us at the store to set up an appointment! Our phone number is 604-855-1894.
- We try to accept as many titles as we can but some books are so plentiful that we simply don’t need any more. We check all titles in our inventory system and accept the titles we need.
- Items must be clean and in Very Good condition or better. Our books are carefully selected. The books you take from us are in VG or better shape so we expect the same in return from you.
- Books with text highlighting, margin notes, prior owner inscriptions (Happy Birthday Mom! for instance), or books that are heavily soiled, reek of mould or smoke, or otherwise appear damaged will not be accepted.
- It is our policy to examine books carefully before making an offer. We have a secure lower floor where boxes may be stored while we appraise the collection. In these cases we give the owner a receipt and try to complete the appraisal as quickly as possible.
- Very often we may only offer to buy a portion of a collection. We don’t accept donations, and are unable to dispose of books we cannot sell.
Here is a general overview of some categories we are looking for. For a detailed list of books we need, see our “Top Books We Need” page!
- Recent pocketbook editions of current bestsellers. All genres (Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Historical, Horror, General Fiction).
- Contemporary literature, preferably in softcover.
- Classic literature, hardcover or softcover. George Orwell, Kurt Vonnegut, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Nabokov, Steinbeck, Joseph Heller, Aldous Huxley, etc.
- Modern fine-bindings, such as Folio Society, Easton Press, and Franklin Library.
- Antiquarian or vintage fine-bindings, preferably leather.
- Recent youth/teen titles.
- Classic kids series such as Dr. Seuss, Berenstain Bears, Bill Peet and Shel Silverstein.
- Science Fiction/Fantasy, preferably softcover.
- Comic Strips/Humour: Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts, The Far Side, Zits.
- Popular Graphic Novels & Manga.
- Recent bestsellers.
- Recent memoirs.
- BC/Yukon history. Fraser Valley, pioneer stories, West Coast history, First Nations titles.
- First Nation Art. How-to Books on Art, wood carving, boat or canoe building.
- Military regimental and unit histories.
- Philosophy, clinical psychology. Nietzsche, Kant, Hume, Plato, Aristotle, Marcus Aurelius, Machiavelli, Adam Smith, Kierkegaard, Thoreau, Camus, Sartre, etc.
- Select religious titles: C. S. Lewis, Timothy Keller, Henri Nouwen, Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Bibles, Korans, books on Buddhism and Non-Belief.
- Books on blacksmithing, electrical work, farming, welding and related trades. Always looking for solar or other alternative power, reducing our carbon footprint in lifestyle and basic construction techniques.
- Outdoors titles for fishing, hunting and local guide-books. Guides for gems, gold-panning, wildlife, plant identification, etc. Survival manuals.
- Recent True Crime.
If you have books that don’t fit these categories, then click our “Contact Us” link and call or email us. We are always looking for new titles! You are welcome to email us lists or photos of what you’ve got and we can let you know whether we are interested before you bring them down to the store.